Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Jar of Fireflies

There are a few tell-tale signs that nature gives when summer has really arrived. As a kid, the sweet smell of honeysuckle meant that school was almost out. With the first blink of a firefly, the comfortable days of June are about to give way to the heat of July. There is something magical about watching the fireflies come out as the sky turns dark, and catching them in a jar is just plain fun.

Drew holds his jar of fireflies. There are about 20 of them in there, and he took it to bed with him so that he could watch them blink while he went to sleep. I released them once he fell asleep, because that was our agreement. We thought they would be happier living outside.


Sydney asked me to take this picture of her. This is the face that she makes when she is pretending to be shy. We also call fireflies "lightening bugs" so last year when I took Sydney out to catch them she started to cry and act afraid. She finally told me that she didn't want lightening to hit her, because she thought that that is what would happen if she caught one. This year she still doesn't want to touch them, but she loves being out and pointing out where they are for the rest of us to get.


Kids and a firefly in motion.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

What fun. This year there have been more fireflys than usual. We've enjoyed walking to Lake Artemesia to see them come out at dusk.

Megan said...

How fun. We don't have fire flys around here or where I grew up in Cali that I can remember!

Denise said...

I used to love gathering lightening bugs. I love how literal kids are. One time Jackson was getting his picture taken for a pamphlet at my mom's ER. The photographer kept saying "let's take the first shot" and Jackson started crying. When I found out why it was because he thought he was going to get a shot. We were at the "doctors office" after all.

Kim said...

adorable!

Jen said...

What an adventure. The girls received some bug kits from Grandma, and now they love catching different bugs out in the yard.