Mothering. Low-budget adventures. Kid antics. Travel. Outdoorsy activities. Welcome.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Lyme Disease
During this beautiful time of year, I find myself spending much more time outside doing projects in the yard, playing with the kids, and just enjoying the sights and sounds of late spring. So I wasn't surprised about a week and a half ago when I found a tick on my back. I was the only grown up at home, so I pulled it out myself while looking in the mirror and using my left hand. I was surprised when 8 days later, I checked it out in the mirror because it had been itchy and I saw the big red target shaped circle around it. I knew right away that it was Lyme Disease, having read all about it when my kids have had encounters with ticks. I looked up info about it, and after reading that it can cause permanent tissue, heart, facial paralysis or nerve damage I wanted to get it looked at right away. This was on Sunday, so I went to an after hours doctors office, and sure enough-- it is Lyme Disease. I was chastised by the doctor who treated me because I don't have my own primary care doctor. He seemed fairly concerned, and he gave me a prescription for a very aggressive dosing of antibiotics. I am confident that the antibiotics will do the job, and it will be life as usual for me. Mainly, I am thankful that this happened to me instead of one of my kids, or I would be a nervous wreck. I am not going to spend my life indoors out of fear of tick bites, but I will be more diligent about using repellant and checking those places that I don't see often (like my back). I am also going to get a good primary care doctor, so if you have a good recommendation for a practice around here, pass it on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Way to be proactive! I'll be honest though...that's a little freaky.
and your back??How in the heck did you find it on your back?!?!?!
BTW, I am not sure if you got it here, chances are that you did, we have had 3 ticks this year, and we hardly ever have them! I think all the rain is making them come out a little more..so I am starting to do regular "tick checks"
Tammy, I didn't get it at your house because I pulled it out a few hours before we came to your house. I remember thinking that I should have you check and get any remnants out, but I thought that would be crossing a sister-in-law boundary of grossness.
MaryBeth-- I know, it's not the kind of thing that I would typically share, so I wasn't going to blog about it but then I did anyway. I'm not sure why.
Oh my word, I agree, this is the tick season! I love my primary care doctors! They are in Laurel, though, across from Laurel Hospital. Let me know if you want their info :)
Doesn't sound like "fun" to me. I do know that you live near people who would be happy to help you with your tick removal needs, so don't be shy.
Oh my goodness...we don't have those here in the desert...just scorpions. It's a good thing you noticed it when you did. You should go have a follow-up visit to make sure the antibiotics got rid of all of it. You don't want to mess around with something like that.
That stinks. Just be happy that you got the rash because some people don't and never figure out why they are sick. I'm sure that you caught it soon enough and that you will be fine. I hear your mother has a good primary care doctor, btw. And, how on earth did you find it on your back?
Post a Comment