Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Fun Fourth


Independence Day is one of my very favorite holidays. It is laid-back, without a whole lot of preparation. It is all about family, friends, food, patriotism and good times. Our day started with the pancake breakfast and flag raising at church. The cute cub scouts did a great job and the food was delicious.


Matthew gives Dad a snuggle during the barbeque in the evening. They decided to sit out the fireworks this year, so I took Drew and Sydney and met up with the big grouping of friends and family at the University of Maryland.


Sydney, illuminated by the glowing necklaces that I bought at Michaels, waves her little flag while we wait for the fireworks to begin.


Every year, my kids are just a little nervous when the fireworks appear to be falling towards us, and every year I reassure them that the fireworks will not land on us. Not so this year-- there was a slight breeze blowing towards us and there were chunks of exploded firework pieces falling on the crowd. Luckily, they were not hot anymore but it did add another element of vigilance to the fireworks display as I had to bat a few falling chunks away from hitting us. Drew collected a nice pile of pieces after the show was over... which reminds me, I need to find where he put them once we came home.

3 comments:

Jill Wright said...

So fun. Andy looks like such a cute dad.

Denise said...

I LOVE your photography skills. We missed you guys.

Corinne said...

the culkin school does classes in silver spring :)

http://www.culkinschool.com/locations.htm