Drew turned 7 years old a few days ago. I had a birthday party planned for a few of his friends and cousins in the evening after a busy day of the Father/Son campout and tee-ball . It had been a whirlwind of activity for the several days leading up to Drew's birthday. The kids all seemed to have a good time breaking the pinata that I lovingly crafted. Cousin Alex finally delivered the death blow to the big lego. Games were played, cake was eaten, and most everyone was happy. Except Sydney. About 20 minutes before the party, she was running down the hardwood hall in her socks and went flying headfirst into a place where the two walls meet and come to a corner. She had a good sized cut in a perfect line on her hairline. Our efforts to keep it closed up were unsuccessful. So, Andy and my mom took her to get stitched up after watching Drew blow out his candles. I stayed with the party, all the while feeling a bit guilty about not being with Sydney in her time of need. It worked out for the best though. She got 11 stitches, and my mom and Andy bought her
some strawberry ice cream for getting through the ordeal. So between the ice cream, and the cake and pinata treats that I saved for her, she cleaned up in the sugar department that day. Her spirits were high when she got home, and she refused to see her reflection in the mirror. Out of sight, out of mind..... it has worked well.

3 comments:
I love the cake. It always seems like kids get hurt on birthdays. Jackson ended up in the ER on Jimmy's birthday last year. I won't mention the camp out to Jackson. He's been talking about last year's all year.
The cake looks great! Poor Sydney! Is that the first time any of your kids have gotten stitches? Her hair is getting so long.
Yes, those were our first and hopefully our last stitches.
Post a Comment