My baby walks everywhere now. When my oldest first started walking, I was thrilled at his new achievement. When Sydney began walking I was also excited, as I am with Matt. But my excitment is mixed with the feeling of my baby growing up, and that is a little bittersweet. He was quite good at crawling, since he chose it over walking for so many extra months. Matt had a lightening fast crawl that he would use if he wanted to get to me in a hurry. He would put his head down (he thought it made him more aerodynamic) and pump those arms and legs as quick as I have ever seen a little one go, usually laughing all the way. There was also a sound to it that I loved, so that even when I couldn't see him crawling, I could hear him. It was the sound of his chubby little baby-fat hands slapping the hardwood floors, and the swish-swish of his knees as he scooted along. I will miss it. But I am glad that Matt is a walker now. It means less stain treatment for the knees of his pants at laundry time, and eventually less carrying him around (he still likes to be carried so far). Mostly, his excitement is infectious. He likes to walk right towards me and I scoop him up in a big hug. The photo is of him walking up for a hug at the park. I will miss my baby... but then I remind myself that there is so much ahead to look forward to.
Mothering. Low-budget adventures. Kid antics. Travel. Outdoorsy activities. Welcome.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
From Baby to Toddler
My baby walks everywhere now. When my oldest first started walking, I was thrilled at his new achievement. When Sydney began walking I was also excited, as I am with Matt. But my excitment is mixed with the feeling of my baby growing up, and that is a little bittersweet. He was quite good at crawling, since he chose it over walking for so many extra months. Matt had a lightening fast crawl that he would use if he wanted to get to me in a hurry. He would put his head down (he thought it made him more aerodynamic) and pump those arms and legs as quick as I have ever seen a little one go, usually laughing all the way. There was also a sound to it that I loved, so that even when I couldn't see him crawling, I could hear him. It was the sound of his chubby little baby-fat hands slapping the hardwood floors, and the swish-swish of his knees as he scooted along. I will miss it. But I am glad that Matt is a walker now. It means less stain treatment for the knees of his pants at laundry time, and eventually less carrying him around (he still likes to be carried so far). Mostly, his excitement is infectious. He likes to walk right towards me and I scoop him up in a big hug. The photo is of him walking up for a hug at the park. I will miss my baby... but then I remind myself that there is so much ahead to look forward to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hooray! That blogged you talked about so long ago has come to fruition! I'm so excited! I'll add you to my blog list ASAP...
I can't believe how much your kids have grown in the year since we moved. Sydney looks so much like you--they're darling.
I can't believe he is that grown up already either. He is such a happy little guy!
I think the milestones are always slightly sad with the youngest ones...
Post a Comment