Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Winter Wonderland

I have always been a snow lover. As a kid I would sled from morning to night, only coming in when I was in pain from freezing cold hands and feet. So you can imagine my delight when we had a record amount of snowfall here this past weekend, with a total of around 20 inches. One good thing about this storm was the timing... just days before Christmas. It has been a busy few weeks around here with holiday parties, shopping and all of the other things to do to get ready for Christmas. Mother nature finally forced us to slow down. We had a good time being snowed in together, and for a few hours it was actually against the law for non-essential traffic to be on the roads. I took that opportunity to go cross country skiing on the streets around my neighborhood, until the snowplows came by. It was great fun, and my street has never looked as magical. In the photo above, Andy and I bundled up the kids and took them out on Saturday morning for some sledding and snowboarding on our local hill until everyone got cold and the wind and heavier snow came in.



Everything was so beautiful, and I could not resist heading back outside at about 11:00 pm with my camera and tripod to take some pictures.


Saturday night also happened to be the night that I had planned our annual Christmas movie night and sleepover, where we make a big fire, watch Christmas shows, and eat all sorts of treats. Typically we roast hot dogs and marshmallows in the fire, but all of the sticks outside were too buried.


We watched some classics like How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolf, Charlie Brown's Christmas, and others. Finally it was around 10:30 and little people were getting tired. I bundled up and went outside to take my night pictures, and when I came back in Drew and Sydney were fast asleep. I climbed in my floor bed and joined them for a decent night's rest by the Christmas tree.



On Sunday morning, church was cancelled. We had a lot of digging out to do, despite having shoveled a few times on Saturday.


Pretty morning.


Since then, we have been sledding multiple times a day down the hill in our front yard. The snow that the snowplow put on the side of the road made a wall about 3 feet tall, which is the perfect barrier for stopping the kids. It has been quite the job for me constantly getting kids into and back out of snow clothes and putting loads of wet stuff into the dryer. It is so worth it though, as these days don't come along too often, and I know what it is like to love the snow.

7 comments:

Lissa said...

Fun times! Matthew doesn't look like a baby anymore in his snow clothes. I LOVE the picture of the lit up bushes covered in snow..

Denise said...

How fun. I like that sleeping by the tree tradition. Your night picture is wonderful. Matt is SO big. I still think of him as the baby in the picture on your blog. Maybe Jackson and Drew can hang out and go sledding, we went yesterday and it was so fun. Your hill looks perfect! I am in for RCSP too, but probably next week sometime. I'll call you.

Michelle said...

I love the pictures and all the snow fun you're having. I didn't respond yet to your comment on my blog--I've been in Utah, which is why we haven't been around. There is snow here, but not nearly what you guys have there! Ironic that the major Christmas snow is in Maryland this year! Well, I'll be fine with the 2-5 inches called for today! Have fun and have a great Christmas.

*~Petra~* said...

Yay! A white Christmas in Maryland! How cool. Nothing better than snow activities to get you in a good mood.

Karen said...

Great pictures! That looks like so much fun! What great timing. I wish we could have been there for a few days of that.

Jill Wright said...

That looks like a blast. I can just see you and Andy out on the snowboards teaching your kiddos all the moves. I'm so bummed we didn't get to see you when you were out for Thanksgiving. We should've met in St. George.

Jen said...

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. It was all over the news about how much snow you guys got nailed with. WOW! It looks like your kids loved it though:)