Monday, January 18, 2010

A Year in Review

So, I think I started this blog back in the Spring. There are plenty of things that I intended to post something about last year, but for one reason or another I never got around to. It has been a little while since I have posted anything, and I am going to try to get back on the horse (blogging horse?). Here are a few photos and moments from 2009 that I never did a blog post about...

First, shown above: I loved this double bike trailer that I got at our church wee-cycle. Sydney and Matt enjoyed riding around in it, and since Drew can ride his own bike well, we took many family bike rides during the warm months. It is nice living near a good system of bike paths that connect to parks, and our ball fields for soccer, etc. I haven't done that much biking since I was in middle school.

Matt liked the garden tomatoes, and would pick them and eat them like apples. I tried new things in the garden this year with mixed success, and learned a few things. I made my first compost, and grew some plants vertically for the first time. Some other projects around the house this year were repainting a few rooms and the front door and trim, which each took a few days of elbow grease.


Matt also likes to give trees hugs and kisses... especially the ones that are his size.


Drew and Sydney have their differences sometimes, but most of the time they love each other very much.


Drew played soccer on his first real team. He thinks that sports are okay but he likes karate best. He's still tall for his age.


If you didn't get a Christmas card from me this year, don't be offended, no one did. I think that my kids are officially sick of me taking pictures of them, and it just wasn't working out in December. Poor Matt just wanted to go play with the nearby rocks, and was not on board with my plan.


Before I started this blog, we had a March snow. Drew asked if we could build an igloo and I said "YES!" since I always secretly wanted an igloo in my yard when I was little. We almost finished it but it got too dark and cold, and Matt was tired of being outside. That and my bad engineering, but now I know how to do it better next time.


We had a fabulous spring break staying in little cabins at Goshen boy scout camp in the mountains of Virginia, thanks to a friend in the ward. Most of my siblings and their kids were there too, so it was a blast.


Having small kids means waking up early, day in and day out. I am finding myself becoming more of a morning person with each passing year and especially enjoy the mornings when I catch a beautiful sunrise.


My whole family at the beach... I don't think that I got it in a blog post.


I love Sydney! Since she is my middle child, I worry if I am giving her an equal amount of my attention sometimes, as she is often more low maintenance then my boys. Sometimes she likes to help me take care of Matt, even though he is getting to be about the same size that she is.


Toddlers and Christmas tree decorations don't always mix, or I'm just not feeding him enough. Thanks for reading this long and unorganized post. 2009 was a good year for so many reasons, and I hope that I learned and grew a little bit too.

4 comments:

Denise said...

I love the post! I have a bunch of stuff to put in mine. (As soon as I find my battery recharger for my other camera.) Some of those pictures are just amazing. The one with Matt eating the tomato made me smile.

Cindy said...

I love your pictures and appreciate your lack of Christmas card confession. I didn't send any either. I'm thinking that Valentine's Day cards or letters will do, if I get around to it.

Karen said...

Totally cute pictures! I think it is a great idea to combine the things you meant to post about but didn't. I love the igloo.

hdknowles said...

I always get a New Year's card from a friend from elementary school. Maybe you can start a new tradition, like President's Day cards. This is a great post.