Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snowmageddon

I know, Snowmaggedon (as some DC news reporters called it) is a very dramatic word. When I first heard the term before the storm actually hit, I got a good chuckle out of it. But as it turned out the reporters were on to something... maybe not on the caliber of the world coming to an end, but it was the largest snowfall that I have ever been in, including my years in Idaho and Utah. At our house we had between 2 and 3 feet of snow between last Friday and Saturday (the first storm), and then yesterday we had another foot or so. I took the photo above at sun set after the skies had cleared.


These pictures are all from the first storm. Once the snow started to come to an end, I put Matt down for his nap, and pulled out my cross-country skis to go explore the neighborhood (Andy was home too). Cross-country skiing is an enjoyable time for me. Besides skiing being great exercise, it is usually quiet and tranquil, and I am lucky to be able to go around here once or twice in a normal winter (usually on a golf course, not the street). This winter is even better. Above, cars are buried on the sides of a road near our house.


The trail head to Lake Artemesia. I almost passed it, but saw the green sign sticking up out of the snow, so I headed into the big snowdrift.


A 2o foot pine tree fell across the "path" to the lake, root ball and all.


Ski tracks down the hill.


Bridge over the creek.


This was the most quiet that I have ever seen Lake Artemesia. I didn't see anyone else while I was there, and Metro wasn't running. Usually a train goes by every few minutes. There was no air traffic either. The only sounds were those of my skis swishing through the snow, my panting breath, and the many geese and waterfowl on the other side of the lake. The geese did sound angrier than usual, but maybe it was because I didn't hear all of the other regular noises.


Some snow covered benches.


The snow formed these small cliffs on the side of the lake.


A small creek in the woods.

The snow formed a good sized cornice on our roof.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow, great photos!!

Jen said...

Great pictures! I've been thinking of you guys a lot and hoping you guys are surviving all that white stuff. I know that MD isn't nearly equipped to handle all of that.

Lissa said...

those pictures do a great job of telling the story of these two snow storms. It is incredible to see how high the snow is on all those familiar places...I hope you guys are keeping the 'fever; at bay and our kids are really missing you guys!

Karen said...

Those are great photos. You are probably the only one that ventured out far enough to get those kinds of shots of that area. I'll bet it was great being out there in the beautiful quiet.