Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Drew's Big 8th Birthday


It has been 2 months since this event, but I would feel like a bad mother if I did not mention Drew's 8th birthday in May. Drew's baptism had to be moved to Memorial Day weekend, when Andy could fly home to be here. He had to work on the weekend of Drew's actual birthday on May 16th, but his parents came for that since they already had plane tickets. It was fun to have them around for a week, and the kids especially enjoyed their time with Grandma and Grandpa Watson. (My apologies, it looks like I put the photos a little out of order).


After the baptism, we had a barbecue at the park.


It seemed appropriate to have a family photo outside of the church. I didn't really want to put this on here, since I look like a giantess ( I am uphill from the family and wearing heels), but again, it seems like the thing to do.


The big event of the day was the baptism. As a family, we had been preparing for this day for a long time. Drew picked out the speakers for the program, so he chose my Dad to speak about baptism. I think that Drew especially enjoyed his analogies about karate, and how he worked hard to earn belts and how he had taken the right steps for baptism. I was fortunate to speak on the Holy Ghost. Andy and Drew did the most important parts. Having a tight knit ward and family, we had a lot of people there in support.


Drew blew out the 8 candles on his birthday cupcake at the bbq. Almost everyone from the baptism came over, and some of Drew's friends from the neighborhood joined us as well.


Andy and some other men-folk manned the grill. We had the usual burgers and hot dogs, and some teriyaki chicken and veggie skewers with pineapple, to mix things up a bit. There were tasty side dishes made by our friends and family too.


Cousins Melissa and Rayzel.



The kids busted up a pinata, and here is the aftermath. I didn't get very good photos as I was holding the pinata string, and chucking extra treats on the ground. And trying to avoid being hit by a plastic bat.


I had to include a pinata picture to remember it by. Sydney (and I) made it in a community art class about a year ago. It had been hanging around the house for awhile and she sweetly consented to letting us use it for this occasion. I told her that we will make another one together for her birthday in February.

I am so proud of the person that Drew has become. The little boy in him is quickly disappearing, and I will miss those years. But it is being replaced by a truly caring, unique and talented young man, and he is hanging on to many of my favorite traits that he has had his whole life. I know that he is a force for good in this world, and I am truly blessed to be his mom.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Happy birthday and congrats, Drew! I can't believe you are already so old. I still remember subbing for your Primary class when you were only 5. Times fly:)

Denise said...

Such a sweet post! I loved seeing all the pictures of everyone, even though I was just there. I was surprised to see Danae, though! I love that you had a big blow out and your family picture is awesome. I love Matt's outfit and you don't look like a giantess, but it sure made me laugh!

*~Petra~* said...

What a special birthday! I love the BBQ idea afterwards. How fun! Don't they grow up fast? Next thing you know he'll be getting the priesthood!

Alison said...

I know, it's crazy how fast those 8 years went. I wish you all could have been at the bbq too!

Karen said...

I can't believe they are eight already! That looks like a fun birthday party :)

dnA said...

You crack me up, Alison the giantess. (not even). I was glad to see you included the picture of 'the lady nobody knew'. I don't know why, I just get a kick out of that... maybe because I used to be a party crasher. OK, I am still a party crasher. Glad we could be there for Drew's big one!