So I'm playing catch up here. On President's Day we decided to do something truly presidential and spent the day at Mount Vernon. It was very fitting to be at the home of George Washington on his birthday, and it is also the free admission day for the year. The kids and I went with my parents, and as you can see it was still quite snowy.
There were crowds, but not too bad considering the price. We waited in line for about 30 minutes, and my parents held back to wait for my brother to meet them. The kids and I headed into the house, since they were cold and Matt was getting increasingly difficult to keep in line (not quite screaming, but well past wiggly). The house was great, and I would like to go back minus a toddler someday. No strollers (or photography) are allowed, so it was like wrestling a somewhat whiny wild animal for me. I thought it would be a bad idea to turn him loose in a room with George Washington's original china, vases, and other highly breakable items.
As for Drew and Sydney, they kept busy with these fun adventure maps where you look for clues and fill in the blanks. If you get them right they give you a prize at the end, and they both get really excited at the prospect of a prize. Sadly, it wasn't a giant Lego set but they were still happy with their squished pennies with an imprint of the house on it. We also liked the museum about the life of President W. and when Drew came home and made a detailed map of the crossing of the Delaware river with cannons and battle plans and flags, I knew that it had been a worthwhile outing.
2 comments:
It was a great day. I loved seeing Mt. Vernon for the first time in many years. The new area with films and exhibits was worth the price of admission on a regular day.
So fun! I wish we could have gone with you and your wonderful parents. You are awesome for teaching your kids about George Washington. The older I get, the more I learn that he was so much better than I ever learned in school. (or maybe we were just skipping that day ;) But he was truly one of the greatest men in history!
Post a Comment