Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Halloween


In Utah, if Halloween lands on a Sunday it is celebrated on Saturday, so really it was Halloween-eve. For the last few years in MD I have had my family over for Halloween and eaten spider pizza, treats and gone trick or treating and watched semi-scary cartoons while eating candy until we are on the border of the legendary candy-induced stomachache (I have yet to reach that feat). Wow, that was a run-on sentence. So this year, we had Jessica's family over for pizza and a cauldron of spooky root beer.


There was a powerful storm that came through right about the time that we were going to start trick or treating, so we had to wait it out for a little bit. The wind even snapped a large branch off of one of the trees in our front yard right on the sidewalk, so we were glad that no trick or treaters were standing there at that moment. There was even a pretty good accumulation of hail on the ground. When it passed, we were rewarded with this lovely double-rainbow. It was a whole one, and framed the mountains beautifully... I just couldn't fit it all in one photo.


Finally it passed, and we donned our costumes and headed out. I had spent the morning putting together Drew's ninja costume. I cut the dragon and the Chinese characters out of sticky felt and put them on this black fabric, and paired it with black clothes that he already had. Sydney was sweet enough to be a green fairy again this year, although I wish that I had made the time to put together one of her more creative suggestions, like her favorite idea: a mattress. Hopefully next October won't be so crazy. She did put on those fabulous Halloween tights though, and it was so wet out that we all put on our waterproof snow boots to trick or treat in. Matt was the scarecrow that I made for Drew when he was little, and he seemed pleased with it. Sadly, my camera batteries died and so I only have a few sub-par photos to mark the occasion. At least it's something.



Trick or treating was pretty good, and it was a perfect chance to meet some of our new neighbors. I love Halloween.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Looks like y'all had a lot of fun. We did our celebrating on Saturday, too, because that's what our neighborhood has always done. Love the spooky root beer. We tried to do that last year at trunk-or-treat, and it didn't go quite as planned.

Wow, what a beautiful rainbow. I don't if I ever seen one like that in person.

Cindy said...

I love that rainbow. I bet it was gorgeous in person. Of course we missed all of you on Halloween and I missed your spider pizza. The kids look darling, as usual. It is great that Matt has his own house to play in.

Denise said...

How fun! The rainbow is beautiful. We had one right outside of our house just when we moved here. I love that you make the costumes. I have yet to talk anyone into being something that isn't just as cheap to buy. I need to work on originality with my kids. And, how fun to have snow on your birthday!

Karen said...

Love the spider pizza!