Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Another Reason to Love Legos


Drew first fell in love with Legos in Kindergarten. Since then, he has asked for Legos for probably 95% of his birthday or Christmas presents. When he earns money for good grades he saves up for the Lego set that his little heart most desires, and in his spare time there is not much that he loves to do more than.... you guessed it, build cool things out of Legos. Sometimes, I get tired of the tiny pieces scattered in places where I don't think that they belong. But mostly, I think they are one of the very best toy type things out there. In September he even took a class with his 2 cousins David and Greg about Lego robotics at the Lego store in MD... and had a great time of course (his cousins being his other favorite thing).



So, the other day when I got ready to put together a bench for my mud area that I got at Ikea, I had an idea. It came with a booklet that pretty much looked like lego instructions, with step by step instructions and pictures of which parts are needed. I handed the project right over to Drew, and his assistant Sydney, then I went in the kitchen to chop veggies for some corn chowder (which was fabulous and I should post the recipe) and I stayed out of his hair.


So I was thrilled when after an hour or so, and a break to play with one of the new neighbor kids, the project was pretty much done with zero help from me. I did pound together some of the pieces with a rubber mallet and tighten the screws that were more difficult at the end, but that was it. Drew was proud of himself, and I was glad not to do it myself. A win win... all thanks to hours and hours of putting together Legos.

7 comments:

Emma said...

that is awesome! josh loves legos too - we are headed to az for thanksgiving and josh will get his first taste of a lego store - can't wait for the store or till josh is old enough to put together furniture for us

Michelle said...

and kids are so eager to help when they can accomplish something like that! Great job for both of you!! Erin's oldest is majorly into legos too--they would probably have some fun lego'ing around!

hdknowles said...

Great job - kudos to Drew and Sidney - ask Denise about the lego club she is involved in with Jackson - it's a learning club (and obviously I don't have the details). Maybe they have something like that in UT.

MaryBeth said...

That's pretty dang awesome. I'm sure if I left Aren to do something like that he would end up making some kind of Halo character out of it.

Cindy said...

What a talented couple of kids. I know that Drew has the know how but I bet it took Sydney to add the touch that got it done. Way to go!

Denise said...

I cannot tell you how many times I have thought that building with legos is going to get Jackson to put together all of my future Ikea items!!! Great minds think alike!

*~Petra~* said...

Ingenious! I have never thought of handing over stuff like that to my kids...