
If it is possible to love a structure like it is a good friend, I feel that way about my house. Tomorrow, this house won't be ours anymore since we are boarding a plane and moving to Springville Utah. So tonight as I look around, it is empty of all of the books, pottery, art, toys, and things that made the move already with Andy on the moving truck two weeks ago. But the feeling is still here.
As I write this, I am sitting in the spot where I would be trimming the Christmas tree in a few more weeks. I look at the fireplace where we gather sometimes for a night without distractions, other than enjoying each other and a warm fire and maybe some quiet music. The wood floor reminds me of all of the impromptu dance parties that we have had, or the silly games, or the tickle fights.
We have come a long way together in the past 5 years, this house and I. It was a hoarder house when we moved in, as extreme as anything that I have ever seen on TV. There were dump truck loads of stuff to remove, gallons upon gallons of primer and paint used, and squirrels and raccoons to move out. Now, hundreds or thousands of hours later it looks pretty good... and it is wildlife free.
We moved in when Sydney was 14 days old, after ripping up the mustard yellow carpeting and cleaning the wood floors beneath. Since then, she has grown into a scooter riding and confident Kindergartener. Drew has gone from a toddler to a big third grader. Two pregnancies were lost while living here, but one wasn't and we got Matt. Home improvement projects remained constant. Outside, the plants that I lovingly put in over the years have more than doubled in size, while others were a total failure. It has been a learning experience. I see the same birds and squirrels for months on end, like Blackie the squirrel who has been living in our yard for years (we promote multi-ethnicity in our yard).
With all of it's quirks, I love this place and will miss it dearly. Each area of this home holds such warm memories, and if I pause for a moment from the chaos of packing, I can hear the echo of my kids' laughter from good times gone by.
*P.S.-- I am too emotional right now to even start when it comes to my Maryland friends and family. Also, the photo is a recent one of Matt and one of his best friends, Siedra sitting on the front steps. Hopefully after this move, I can post some catch-up stuff and some before and after photos... as almost all of my photos are on my computer there.
As I write this, I am sitting in the spot where I would be trimming the Christmas tree in a few more weeks. I look at the fireplace where we gather sometimes for a night without distractions, other than enjoying each other and a warm fire and maybe some quiet music. The wood floor reminds me of all of the impromptu dance parties that we have had, or the silly games, or the tickle fights.
We have come a long way together in the past 5 years, this house and I. It was a hoarder house when we moved in, as extreme as anything that I have ever seen on TV. There were dump truck loads of stuff to remove, gallons upon gallons of primer and paint used, and squirrels and raccoons to move out. Now, hundreds or thousands of hours later it looks pretty good... and it is wildlife free.
We moved in when Sydney was 14 days old, after ripping up the mustard yellow carpeting and cleaning the wood floors beneath. Since then, she has grown into a scooter riding and confident Kindergartener. Drew has gone from a toddler to a big third grader. Two pregnancies were lost while living here, but one wasn't and we got Matt. Home improvement projects remained constant. Outside, the plants that I lovingly put in over the years have more than doubled in size, while others were a total failure. It has been a learning experience. I see the same birds and squirrels for months on end, like Blackie the squirrel who has been living in our yard for years (we promote multi-ethnicity in our yard).
With all of it's quirks, I love this place and will miss it dearly. Each area of this home holds such warm memories, and if I pause for a moment from the chaos of packing, I can hear the echo of my kids' laughter from good times gone by.
*P.S.-- I am too emotional right now to even start when it comes to my Maryland friends and family. Also, the photo is a recent one of Matt and one of his best friends, Siedra sitting on the front steps. Hopefully after this move, I can post some catch-up stuff and some before and after photos... as almost all of my photos are on my computer there.
7 comments:
Beautifully written - and we will miss you but you have a new adventure and new memories to create. Have a safe trip and don't forget to write about all your new experiences.
I had no idea you were moving to UT! This is big news! I would love to hear more about how this adventure came about. I wish you the best of luck for your move. I'd say we'll miss you, but we already do since we were the ones that have been away for over 2 years:)
deep feelings that we all share...I sat on your steps alone waiting for you to come back and the neighborhood felt emptier...seeing your house without all of your things was hard..as I was pulling out, through the tears that I couldn't keep back I noticed you and matt on the steps..i can't believe that you guys won't be there anymore. It is made easier knowing that you have a new home where you will be reunited with Andy and that you will get some much needed time with the kids. we will miss you so so much, but I am happy for you and your new adventure. And I am glad you have a lot of space for us to visit!.....I am also more motivated to make a very cozy Guest room at our house where someone, even many someones might stay for awhile! Maryland already feels lonely and you guys aren't even on the plane yet!
That was beautiful. (And I didn't know about the 2 losses, I'm so sorry about that.) As for the house, I had a conversation with a woman this weekend who asked me why we didn't sell our house in MD when we moved here. I said that I wasn't ready. She said, "Oh, it was an emotional decision." I've thought a lot about that since she mentioned it. I thought there was something special in that house. But when we've gone back and seen other people's things in it, it has become clear to me. It is just a building that we made into home. Our memories are there, but they are in our minds as well. Our home will be wherever we are. And so it will be for you. As painful as it is now, you will quickly realize that your new house will be just as much of a home and those echos will exist in that new home. I wish you an easy emotional transition. I know you already know this but I, too, know that you can do this...and you can be happy too. Much, much love to you guys.
You've been the best next door neighbor in the world. I've just spent a couple of hours walking through the empty house and remembering precious moments. It won't be the same but we'll try to make it special anyway. Keep the blog up,that will help.
I'm sure leaving was a tough day...You will be missed I'm sure. I know what you mean about the house feeling like a friend.
Oh, friend. Lovely and sad post. New adventures are so thrilling but so hard. We'll all miss you :)
Post a Comment